Happy 50th, HGB!
The Handweavers Guild of Boulder includes over 300 members with interests in all fiber media: weaving, knitting, felting, spinning, beadwork, quilting, dyeing, basketry, paper, crochet, and surface design. We're an enthusiastic mix of hobbyists, artisans, and professional artists.
We're celebrating our 50th anniversary this year. We have several events planned:
- Linda Ligon and Anne Bliss kick off our celebration with the September program, a talk on the early history of HGB and weaving in Colorado.
- The Art of Fiber, a juried exhibit at the Dairy Center for the Arts in Boulder, from December 5, 2014 through January 16, 2015. The exhibit will include both a historical time line showing the evolution of the guild and an invitational segment featuring renowned guild artists.
- Luminescence, an illuminated handwoven and interactive art installation at the entryway to The Dairy, lighting ceremony, Nov. 19th, 6:00pm.
- An exhibit, at the Meadows Library in September and October, of books and materials published by guild members.
- A guild history exhibit at the annual sale.
- A brunch and reunion at the December day guild meeting, organized by the 50th anniversary committee.
The November 2014 issue of The Beat is available.
Beauty and Necessity: Rio Grande Textiles from the Durango Collection® at Fort Lewis College, Durango, CO; until December 17, 2014
See The Beat for a list of exhibits.
In December of 2011 The Handweavers Guild of Boulder hosted a tribute luncheon to honor Linda Ligon, founder of Interweave. The program is available on YouTube in 15-minute increments to stream more easily.
We're back in our usual digs - the day guild meeting is in Barker Hall, and the evening guild meeting is in the Frazier Room. Thanks to Mountain View Methodist Church for working with us on meeting locations while the church was undergoing repairs post-flood. Don't forget to bring your library books back to the September meeting!